Confucius Institute Scholarship (2014)
The Confucius Institute Scholarship Program was established by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters in order to encourage students and Chinese language teachers all over the world to study Chinese or conduct research regarding Chinese language and culture in China.
I. Eligibility Criteria:
1. Outstanding students at Confucius Institutes (classrooms) worldwide;
2. Mandarin teachers and those who intend to become Mandarin teachers and who are devoted to the spread of Chinese language and culture;
3. Outstanding examinees of Chinese tests organized by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters;
4. Outstanding participants of any of the following “Chinese Bridge“ Chinese Proficiency Competitions, held for foreign college Students, for foreign secondary school students, or for foreign students in China;
5. Those who qualifies according to certain Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters agreements.
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens who are in good health.
II. Scholarship category and qualification:
1. Scholarships for advanced study.
Duration is for one semester or one academic year. Applicants are required to have a basic knowledge of Chinese language, and are under the age of 55.
2. Scholarships for Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other Languages.
Duration is two years. Applicants are required to have bachelor degrees or its equivalent and under the age of 45.
III. Supported majors:
Majors supported by Confucius Institute Scholarships (2010) include literature, education, history and traditional Chinese medicine and pharmacy.
IV. Scholarship coverage and criteria:
1. Scholarship holders are exempt from tuition, accommodation fees on campus and outpatient medical service;
2. Monthly allowances (CNY Yuan/month)
a. Advanced study：CNY1,400
b. Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other Languages：CNY1,700
3. One settlement subsidy, at the following rates (CNY Yuan)：
a. Students who will study in China for 1 academic year or more：CNY 1,500
b. Students who will study in China more than one semester, but within one
academic year: CNY 1,000.
4. Comprehensive Medical Insurance: provided by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters for scholarship students in China in case of hospitalization for serious illness or injury.
V. Recommended Institutes:
Applicants should submit their applications to the following institutes:
1. Educational (cultural) departments of Chinese embassies and consulates
2. Confucius Institutes worldwide;
3. Institutes accepting the scholarships;
4. Other organizations appointed by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters;
VI. Application and Evaluation:
1. Applicants, please log on to the Confucius Scholarship website at
http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, fill in the application form online, print the form and sign it; then submit it to one of the recommended institutes along with the other application materials before March 31st;
2. The Recommended Institutes will select the best applicants and submit
their documents to the accepting institutes. Evaluations will be made by the accepting institutes and the results will be submitted to Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters by April 30th, which will make the final selection and award the Confucius Institute Scholarships.
3. Applicants may check their application process and results at any time through the individual accounts they have set up on the Confucius Institute website.
VII. Application Documents:
Applicants must submit their documents according to the following instructions (all in duplicate):
1. Application form for Confucius Institute Scholarship: log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website, fill in and submit the form online; then print and submit it;
2. Photocopy of passport photo page;
3. Application statement: include applicants’ Chinese learning background and study plan in China. It should be no less than 200 words. Print and sign it in Chinese or English. And for Masters of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other Languages applicants, please give a detailed plan for your study and research in China.
4. Chinese proficiency certificates: a copy of the HSK results is strictly required when applying for the Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other Languages;
5. Diploma and transcripts: to be issued directly by the educational administration office of the school/university, with an official stamp. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translations in Chinese or English. Applicants for Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other Languages are required to submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associate professors.
1. Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters will inform the recommended institutes and accepting institutes of the scholarship decisions by May 31st, 2010.
2. The accepting institutes will send both the letter of acceptance and the certification of scholarship to the applicants.
The scholarship winner must register at the accepting institutes before the deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be kept for those who do not register on time.
Division of New Initiatives and International Exchanges, Hanban
1. register on http://cis.chinese.cn/注册个人账号
2. fill in the on-line application form 在线填写申请表
3. print application form and prepare other documents打印申请表
4. submit to the recommended institutes before the deadline推荐机构
5. outstanding students selected by the recommended institutes择优
6. Submit to The headquarter of Confucius Institutes 国家孔子学院总部
7. outstanding students selected by Confucius Institutes择优
8. release the results（www.chinese.cn）录取结果
9. applicants 申请者
10. www. chinese.cn
11. log in your account 登录账户